Monday, November 20, 2006

The Great Sphinx of Giza

I thought I lost mother of the year for sure. Devin had a Science project which was to make a 3-D Egyptian item which represented a culture from that time period. He want to make a Crook and Flail, I had no idea what to use to make this item. For those of you who do not know what this is (I did not at first) here is a picture:

Anyway, Devin and I could not figure out what to make this with (actually to not spend a fortune making) so we opted to make the Sphinx of Giza. I thought that it would be a lot easier to find floral foam and less expensive. So off Devin went and for days he was carving and carving getting green floral foam all over our dining room. He was so proud of his work.

THEN Mom came along thinking I was helping. As we all know the Giza was not green. I bought a can of stone spray paint, took Devin’s creation into the basement and sprayed away. To my horror I heard fizzling sounds coming from Devin’s beautifully detailed carving. It was melting right before my eyes. So I grabbed some tissue and tried to put a stop to the awful sound. Luckily it did not totally destroy the face. I of course emailed his teacher first thing the next morning to tell her of what I did. Bless her heart she emailed back saying that I did not ruin his project and as best she can tell he was getting an A.

No comments: