Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where Weird Things Grow

I have said it before. My husband is a little strange. Here is one PERFECT example. We live in Missouri, all 4 seasons and all and we are growing BANANA trees. Yes I said it banana trees. He absolutely loves these things. He will call me outside every time we get a new leaf. "Come look at the size of this leaf" or "Look how many new trees are sprouting up". A strange one I tell ya. Anyway, I thought we would never get bananas but low and behold here they are in the early stages.


I had no idea what this was when it first shot up. Quite strange looking. Really you should see it. Now these next pictures were taken on the 10th. We could not figure what was going on with our little (15 foot tall) trees.
We were guessing that maybe they were going to flower.............do banana trees do that?

These pictures were taken on the 16th and OMG is all I have to say!

This this is HUGE!

Are we growing a pod? What in the world is this thing growing in my back yard? Is it going to turn into pod people and take one of my children? I mean seriously look at the size of the thing! Then I rounded to the back side of the plant (brave am I) and I found this:

It seems that one of the "pod" leaves came up and underneath some flowers grew. But are they not the strangest flowers ever?

Then the proverbial light bulb turned on.......the yellow stem like things behind the flowers...........yep they are the bananas! They are about two inches or so long. How tiny, but what is up with the rest of the pod? Will each leaf produce a bunch of bananas? Holy cow (where did we come with that...Holy cow....are cows holy) that will be a lot of bananas. I think they better hurry up because it has been strangely cool this summer and I fear that if they wait much longer it will be too cold and MD will be chopping down the trees to put away for next year.

Stay tuned for more banana growth!

2 comments:

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

That is crazy!! And hilarious! I love that you grow bananas!

I can't wait to see more.

By the way, you should totally take a picture of those pods with something next to them for reference....so those of us with pea brains can figure out the size. :-)

Michelle said...

These are awesome photo's. I had no idea that is how they grow! What a beautiful plant!