Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Greesy Grimmey Gofer Guts

What is it about boys, I just do not understand them. And that makes raising a teenage boy VERY difficult.


Devin has hit that I am a big kid and do not have to do what you say stage and it is driving me crazy. Here is a list of what I am up against boys vs girls here at the MD house:



1. The boy's grades D's and F's, girls getting straight A's


2. Boy's appearance sloppy, girls clean.



3. Boy speaks to me like I am trash, girls still speak to me like they at least like me.






4. The world owes the boy, what I am not sure but it owes him something.



5. He will do what he wants when he wants and do not bother him otherwise.



6. He is crabby ALL the time! Never happy about anything, totally miserable.




And this is just what I can think of at 630ish am in the morning.


Today is a perfect example. I go to get the boy up at 545, 600, 615, 625 and 630. Each time I tell him what time it is, and he yells at me he knows. OK fine I go clean up something while I wait for him to come down. Finally he emerges from the upstairs grumbling of course that he is hungry, and there is nothing to eat (mind you there are 4 boxes of cereal, a box of breakfast bars, apples, and instant oat meal in the pantry), and when I inform him that there is stuff to eat he switches up to there is no time to eat (bus comes at 640 am). Then while locating everything his books shoes and what not, demands lunch money.



Never a hi mom, how ya doing, good morning, nothing. Just there is nothing, leave me alone, and grumbling. This pretty much is repeated in the evening when I get home and ask about homework.


Makes coming home very stressful, and makes staying at work very appealing. Yes that way I can hide from my problems. Sometimes I like hiding.

It seems I am the reason for everything that goes wrong in his life even if I am no where around or had anything to do with it.


I am at wits end with this kid, I can deal with his long hair, torn baggy jeans, and even maybe his grumpy disposition, if he performed better at school, and was not so disrespectful (luckily he is only disrespectful to MD and I not any other teachers or adults). I have tried everything every doctor has suggested, the suggestions work for a bit (or not at all) then nothing. I need suggestions and quick. I am to the point of just letting him crash and burn at school, maybe going to summer school or even repeating a grade with set him straight (by the way everything at school is the teachers fault not his).




Who ever said boys were easier were on some kind of mind trip. Girls......way easier.






4 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

oh man, I wish I had words of wisdom for you...but I have a girl and she's one. I'll ask my mother-in-law - she raised three boys!

Tracy said...

I am hearing what you are saying-and my son isn't even officially a teenager yet-he is 11. His favorite word seems to be "whatever"-pretty irritating to hear when I drop him off at school and say I love you have a good day and I hear most days-"Whatever".
He spends more time being grounded than not-he is only rude and bratty to us (his family). He still has some good days and his grades are actually good this year.
He is a slob and acts like everyone owes him something-it is never his fault. He is a challenge-to say the least.
So I feel your pain...the 2 girls were a breeze compared to him even when they had attitudes they were still not disrespectful-that is the part that gets me the most with my son.
Wish I had the answer but I don't.
Our Dr. of course suggested counseling-which we tried already-my son just sat there like he was bored to death.
so who knows.. but at least you aren't alone!
Tracy

mdx3mom said...

Devin has been diagnosed ADHD and has been taking medication for years (not much help anymore). I even had another doctor throw in ODD (Opositional Defiant Dissorder) which basically means I am screwed. He will not conform to anyones rules. Dr quote "he life in school will suck, but he will be a very successful adult and will probably own his own company." I said if he lives to be an adult.

We have been to counseling, and man did that not work. He turned into the demon seed. I have never seen anyone get so mean while in counseling. That was 8-10 years ago, we were thinking about trying it again but scared to with the last experience.

Felicia D said...

I say try counseling again because its one time a week where he can say whatever he wants and just let go, which is hard for guys...also I went to his school. In his group of friends at lunch he was the quiet, non-aggressive one. I don't know if it was because I was there but he actually told one kid to watch his mouth when he started using swear words...