Thursday, October 09, 2008

It was a Man Hunt to Close to Home!

This is how I got to start my morning:


Police and SWAT teams are in O'Fallon, Mo. searching for a man they want to talk to about the shooting death of a 12-year-old Madison boy.
Detectives with the Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis have named Marcus T. "Butterhead" Powell, 27, as a "person of interest" in the shooting and killing of Delarrian Davis just after midnight Tuesday as the child was doing homework at his mother's home at 2018 Skeen Ave. in Madison.

The manhunt in O'Fallon, Mo. began around 5 a.m. after Powell was spotted in Illinois and fled from police into Missouri.

KSDK reported that O'Fallon police are searching for Powell in an area bounded by Bryan Road, Veterans Memorial Parkway, Mexico Road and Route K. Everyone who lives in the area is asked to stay inside and keep doors locked and garage doors closed.

Police are stopping vehicles and looking in the back seats and trunks for any sign of Powell.
Police said Powell is 5-foot-7 and weighs 145 pounds. He was wearing a white t-shirt and tan shorts. Capt. Brad Wells with the Madison County Sheriff's Department said previous reports that Powell was armed are untrue. He said Powell is not believed to have any weapons or a cell phone. He has no known acquaintances in the O'Fallon area.

Wentzville Police began pursuing Powell on I-70 early Thursday when he crashed his car at Bryan Road, according to O'Fallon Police. Powell ran off and has not been seen since.
Fort Zumwalt West High School, West Middle School, Dardenne Elementary and Rock Creek Elementary are closed due to the search.


I got up this morning and sent Devin off to the bus stop without knowing his school was canceled. That is until one of Mikayla's friends called to tell us that school was canceled and why. Still not all the way awake I replied "no, Devin's bus just drove by". The friend replied "really?" and we hung up. I was curious so I turned on the news (as it was still dark out I could not see Devin at the bus stop without going outside) and there it was school closed due to the man hunt in the area. I bolted outside to see if Devin was there and he was. I told all the kids to go home and for Devin to get in the house. Needless to say we were glued to the television. MD said that he was going to be home for a while and Felicia is home for the week so I thought it safe to get ready for work and try to get there without being too late. What I did not hear on the news was that they were telling people to stay in and not leave. Did not hear this particular warning so off to work I went. I was told by a coworker that I was supposed to have stayed put.


Around 10 a.m. MD called stating that the police helicopters were now hovering over our neighborhood! How freaking scary is that.

Police tactical teams in O'Fallon, Missouri have captured the man wanted in connection with the shooting death of a boy in Madison, Illinois and wanted in connection with another shooting at a gas station. Police found Marcus Powell hiding in a shed in a trailer park. (full story here)


Not a good way to start the day is all I have to say.

2 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

Yikes! Sounds like a movie!

It's been a while since O'Fallon has gotten that much action. Bet the police are down at the watering hole talking about it now.

what IS a watering hole, seriously?

....but really, I'm glad y'all are safe!

Ness said...

As soon as I heard it early this morning, I said a prayer for your family that you all would be safe.

I'm glad that madman is caught. Take care.

Ness