Monday, February 23, 2009

Special Schools

MD and I have been doing some research on "Special" schools for Devin. Everything from Military Schools to Schools designed to help troubled teens with ADD/ADHD, ODD and such.
What I want to know is how the average family could afford these schools?! The cheapest we have found is $3,100 a month in Louisiana, the average cost is in the area of $4,000 a month. And to keep him within a 3 hour drive of home it will cost $16,800 a year for the closet Military School. This of course is way more than I make a month.
So how can these schools stay in business? I mean they all seem to have pleanty of kids in the school to sustain them, so who are paying these kind of tuition prices?
So, we are at what they say .... an impasse. We can not afford to send him where he will get help on our own, and he is progressively getting worse in traditional school. Sad is it not?

2 comments:

Laggin said...

Ugh.

We're doing our own version of bootcamp here in the House. Not fun. Sorry.

I'm working with a psychologist who I really like and has been very helpful. Have you tried finding someone to give advice? He's helped us with a gameplan and I have hopes that it might actually work.

*fingers crossed on my right hand for Eldest and on my left hand for Devin*

*virtuals hugs for you*

utmomof 5 said...

WOW that is a lot of money! I would guess people probably mrgage their houses and use credt cards to pay for that. I don't think most people have that kind of money just laying around. I wish I had some advice for you -- {HUGS}