Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Ahh What a Day

Today is Wednesday.

Today I should be at work. I am not.

Devin had a psychologist appointment 9am.

I had a dentist appointment at 12:30. I have had a broken tooth for over a month.

Devin has home bound instruction at 2:30.

Does this schedule not look like fun? I think not, none of it!

Chore No 1.: Devin was VERY crabby this morning, and decided to let everyone in the house suffer for it. He did not want to go to the therapist this morning. He states it is stupid and not worth the time or money. Though I REALLY do like his therapist. She put him right in his place first thing. AND every time he tries complaining about MD and I or trying to get us in trouble she once again puts him right in his place with one simple statement.

YOUR ACTIONS HAVE BROUGHT YOU AND YOUR PARENTS TO THIS PLACE. YOUR ACTIONS ARE WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED FOR, GROUNDED FOR, LOSS OF FRIEND INTERACTION FOR, LOSS OF COMPUTER TIME FOR.

Nothing like reminding one what real life is about.


Chore No 2: The Dentist office called asking if I could come in early, they were ahead of schedule. I said sure and off I went. I got to see the dentist at 11:30, after a shot of Novocaine, lots of drilling, another shot of Novocaine (I guess I was not numb enough, I jumped) more drilling and finally that nasty gooey blue rubber junk was taken out of my mouth and a temporary cap put in I got to leave. Oh yea in addition I was informed that "MY PART OF THE BILL" would be $625.50. WTH!


Now the entire right side of my face is numb but not my teeth or gums!


Chore No 3: Devin has home bound instruction again this evening for 5 hours at the local library. Part of me is very glad that they offered this option with his suspension. But the other part of me (the part that did not know he was doing his work but not correctly) is thinking what is the point. He does not care enough to even do the work much less correctly. He is still FAILING his classes. I am at a loss, he will have to go to summer school this summer and take zero hour and probably have to go to summer school the next two years just to catch up from this years bombing.


This is my day and life today in a nutshell. Off to the library for fun (sarcasm inserted here).




Update; therapist believes Devin is/has Aspergers. I was told to go do some research at the symptoms and see if I agree. Again WTH! First he has ADHD, then another doctor states he also has ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). Yet another thinks he is depressed. So now we add yet another diagnosis to his list of possibles. I just wish that someone just agree and tell me how to deal with this kid. Though he has been better lately his is reverting back to his old self. I still think it has to do with his friends. He did not start reverting until they were allowed back into his day. UGH boys...and their friends!

Great, just received a phone call from his instructor. He is refusing to do any work and I have to go pick him up. So much for his return to normality. Now what to do?

5 comments:

utmomof 5 said...

I so feel your pain about the dentist. I took some good drugs last night... ah I loves me some good painkillers :)

I have a nephew with Aspergers. There are some really good books out there on it. You should do some reading on your own and see if the symptoms fit. Good luck!

Andrea said...

Oh my, you sound as if you're describing my life about 5 years ago. Life is a whirlwind when you're looking for someone to give you the answers. It seems that sometimes there just aren't any and time will eventually smooth things out. Definitely research that Aspergers - I once worked one-on-one with a child with Aspergers, it's pretty serious stuff. Do your research - as one doctor once told me - "you're your child's best (and sometimes only) advocate." Good luck.

Cindi said...

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I wish I could wave a magic wand and have it all be "just right" but unfortunately, that's just not possible.

It's true, though, that YOU are your child's biggest advocate. Darn it, as much as they can aggravate you, they're still YOUR child. And at the end of your life you don't want to look back and have any regrets, so the mother in us tried to do everything we possibly can.

Other than being a teacher, my only other experience with things even remotely similar to this would be having a now 22 year old son with a strong case of ADD and depression. He's doing much better these days and will graduate from college in December. I still, though, need to remind him that life is all about choices and some of his have made him have to deal with consequences he wasn't happy with. Again, they were HIS choices.

It's easy for me to say "hang in there" but things will eventually get better. It won't be all of a sudden or necessarily anytime soon, but it will happen...in the meantime I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Laggin said...

Eldest is high functioning Aspergers or low functioning Non-verbal learning disorder. They are both on the (brace yourself), Autism spectrum. It is very common to have these disorders paried with ADD or ADHD. We have had Eldest being seen and followed at the developmental clinic at Children's Hospital for about 8 years. I would encourage you to find a developmental pediatrican and begin working with them. They will screen him, give you a better diagnosis and suggestions for treatment/therapy.

However, be ready. These are "spectrum" disorders. Every kid is different. There are no answers or pills that solve the problesm. However, there are lots of good suggestions. The folks who say you should read up are right.

Further, if he does have a spectrum disorder and you don't have him on an IEP at school, you need to get him on one. That way you can get alterations to his classes as you need them.

You've got my e-mail. Let me know if you need more.

Suburban Turmoil said...

I read a little about your struggles with your son. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's rough, isn't it? Good luck with figuring out what to do.