Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How Do I do This?

I had a nice conversation today with a lady I use to work with. She said something to me that has my brain going in overdrive. You see she know my son and some of the old problems we had with him and asked how he was. Now I did not go into details (I have taken Laggins lead and started giving him some privacy) just the highlights. She went through some of her struggles with her son. She has two prayers, 1 to keep her son from harm, and 2 if not let her find out. We laughed a bit about this and that. Did the little chit chat. As I was at work I needed to get back to it.

It was her parting statement that struck me. She said it will all work out, and it is our job as parents to keep our children safe and in line. That is the job of a parent.

Now how do I do that? I have mastered it pretty well with the girls, but the boy...... a totally different story.

I take him to my parents home during the day (to keep the other boys out of my house and him out of trouble) and they now are having the same feelings as I. What are we going to do with this kid?

How do I help a kid that refuses all help from anyone? How do a motivate a kid who cares about nothing?

1 comment:

Cindi said...

I wish I had an answer for you. I have absolutely no idea how to motivate someone who cares about nothing. Dr. Ray Guarendi may be able to give you some insight. I try not to "push" things on people, but he and his wife are truly amazing. I've heard him talk several times. One of his talks is "You're a Better Parent Than You Think" and it really helped me out. Of course I never had to deal with the kinds of things you have...I've had issues with my older son, but we have now reached a calm. Of course he's 22 now, so the passage of time (and a little maturity on his part) has helped a lot. I'll continue to think good thoughts for you!