Thursday, February 04, 2010

A request from strangers

I have an odd request, a request from people who know me only from these pages. But for the last 6 days I have been trying to be a pillar of strength for my family. It is getting hard to keep such a stony front on for so long and it is starting to take its toll. So I am for once asking for reinforcements or your help to be exact.

See my mom had a massive heart attack last week. She did not know she was even having a heart attack she just thought she didn't feel well. Then Friday her jaw start hurting then it got very hard to breath. That is what landed her in the ER and that is when she found out she was having another heart attack. Sunday she started having another attack and on Monday she received a triple bypass. While in surgery she had another heart attack. They also informed us they pulled 2 liters of fluid from her lungs. When the surgery was over the doctor came to speak with the family. None of what he said was good. They were unable to close her chest because her heart was too swollen. She had another surgery Wednesday to close her chest. She has a very sick heart, part of which no longer works. He does not every say anything optimistic.

Yesterday she was taken off the ventilator. She was able to visit with my dad and sister. I had to miss that due to having to get Felicia back to school. But she looked good according to my father.

Today she went into v-tach twice and both times it took getting shocked to get regular sinus rhythm back. And of course she is back on the ventilator.

My Facebook family has been sending me great words of hope. I have passed on to mom all the wonderful wishes from them and it seems to brighten her mood.

So my request is this:

Her 65th birthday is Sunday February 7th. She is getting depressed about spending it in the hospital on a ventilator and being stuck in a bed. I am asking if you can find the time to drop a card in the mail wishing her a happy birthday and get well wishes. This would make her mood better to see all the people who have thought of her at this time.
The mailing address is:
Patient - Faulisi
Des Pares Hospital
Cardiac Care Unit
2345 Dougherty Ferry Rd.
St. Louis,MO 63122

I saw it work wonders today when I read to her an email from a friend. I am posting it here so I can share with you what he sent:


I got confirmation last night - in St. Mary's Cathedral in Hyde Park in Sydney Australia there was a mass said for your mother and a candle lit. :) Attached is a picture of the church. When I used to travel to Australia a lot, I would stay right by this park and I have been to this church many times. The park is the most peaceful and serene place I know - so I thought this would be appropriate.

Larry

After I read this to her you could see a twinkle in her eyes and that even though she could not smile on the outside she was smiling hugely on the inside.

Thanks for listening, it does feel better letting it out non-verbally. Verbally is just too hard.

6 comments:

utmomof 5 said...

Consider it done :) I too have been through a parent with major heart problems (my dad) But I was in HS and college when it all happened. The sitting in hospitals waiting for word from a doctor, a nurse, anybody. Tough stuff to go though. Anything I can do too help you and her!!!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dread Pirate Davi said...

I'm all over it like males on a female in a deployed environment.

Oh yeah. I went there. =P

Your mom will be in my thoughts.

P.S. They should really consider renaming that hospital...

goodgame77 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dread Pirate Davi said...

You're welcome. =)

Laggin said...

Oh, hun. I'm sorry I missed this. I haven't been reading lately too wrapped up in life.

Hugs.

I hope you are able to take care of yourself. Like you need more.

And I'll say a few Hail Mary's for your mom tonight.