Sunday, January 02, 2011

New Years Resolutions



As the holidays draw to a close every year, most people begin to contemplate, “What’s my New Year’s resolution going to be this year?” While you inevitably grow and make changes all throughout the year, there’s something refreshing and definitive about resolving to make changes at the beginning of a brand-new year. Many people even have a standing New Year’s resolution that they commit to anew every January, only to lose momentum somewhere along the way.

That is me to a T!  I fizzle out probably before March. So to help me get through my Resolutions this year I am not thinking of them as Resolutions, I am making them GOALS.  Goals seem to me to be more attainable.  And goals are a work in progress, and are we not all a work in progress?

It is also a list in progress, I think that also is what will help me complete them.  Not overwhelming just always growing.  That way it doesn't seem like to much to take on.  And most of it involves the "Clean Out" and "Start Fresh and Positive Energy" I wrote in previous post.

So here is the start of my Goals for 2011:

1.  Cut down on smoking (that way I will get use to less and then can quite)
2.  Get all the closets cleaned out (I got two done today!)
3.  Get the storage room clean out (I did 1/2 yesterday and will get to the other half when I get more room in the trash can)
4.  Try a new recipe twice a month (friends beware you will be used as guinea pigs)
5.  Get another two (2) bills paid off and keep them paid.  (last year I actually accomplished this and going to try again this year).
6.  Take my kids to Hawaii for vacation.  (I am currently saving money for this).
7.  Actually tell my kids every morning I love them and how much they mean to me.
8.  Kiss my husband every time he leaves out the door and when we go to bed.
9.  Grow a garden
10.  Recycle more.
11.  Get my family eating better
12.  Get more exercise (MD got me a membership to Golds Gym so that is a start)
13.  Smile more often even when I don't feel like it.

That is my start, I have other things in mind but to not overwhelm myself I will start here and as I complete one I will add another.  Obviously some will take the whole year.  But that will get me trained and use to doing them.  Let us see how this turns out.

Just remember when you are working on your New Year's GOALS expect that your plan can and will change. Life has a funny way of throwing unexpected things at us, and flexibility is required to complete anything but the simplest goal. Sometimes the goal itself will even change. Most of all, recognize partial successes at every step along the way. Just as a resolution isn't accomplished the day it's stated, neither is it accomplished the day you reach your goal. Rather, it's accomplished in many small increments along the way. Acknowledge these incremental successes as they come.

 
Blessed Be!

No comments: